AgeMatch.com - the best dating site for inter-generational lovers!  

Thread: An automotive forum

Daniel Guest

An automotive forum

I figure that most all of us drive, and even those who don't have thoughts and oppinions regarding things automotive. As a car nut and former shop technician, I'd love to see an automotive forum here.

Thoughts?

Daniel

RebeccaSue Guest
    OKay! Are you the resident "Cartalk" guy?

My dealership (who ALWAYS tell me I need to spend some bucks when I take my seven year old Toyota in) now tells me I need to replace my sparks plugs --it's a $300 tag...

Two years ago, they told me I needed to replace my water pump and EVERYONE told me they thoguht I was rooked.

Any suggestions??

Daniel Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rebecca.prozzo@ View Post
    OKay! Are you the resident "Cartalk" guy?

My dealership (who ALWAYS tell me I need to spend some bucks when I take my seven year old Toyota in) now tells me I need to replace my sparks plugs --it's a $300 tag...

Two years ago, they told me I needed to replace my water pump and EVERYONE told me they thoguht I was rooked.

Any suggestions??
    I'll do my best. 300.00 for just spark plugs is ridiculous. 300.00 for an actual tune up is about par for the course (although a tune up is far less involved than once it was).

As for the water pump, I'd have to know why the dealership felt that it needed replacement. Without that information, I'll give you two possibilities.

If it was leaking, then yes, it would have needed replacement; the only thing in a water pump that really goes is the bearing, and when it begins to go, coolant leaks out at the shaft. If it is not addressed, then the bearing will eventually freeze and you will be stalled.

If you had it in to have the timing belt replaced, then it is very much advised to do the water pump, simply because both the timing belt and the water pump are difficult to get at and the labour cost to do either is about the same, so doing both at once is much cheaper than doing one, then down the road doing the other.

Daniel

cuteguy37048 is offline Senior Member
    I love and appreciate a fine car. I used to small time drag race and my best friend is a mechanic.

I'm for it

Daniel Guest
    Very cool! What kind of car did you race?

About twenty two years ago, I used to race a 1969 Z/28 at the local dragstrip. Ah, those were the days.

Daniel

Daniel Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sheila4pd View Post
    We would need to Un-Ban Miu for this forum, she was a car aficionada. Me, I only know you have to put gas in it.
    Maybe she could get a special dispensation for posting in an automotive section?

And I'm sure that you know more than just that you have to put gasoline in it.

Daniel

Mishigas73 Guest
    As someone who drives a car whose parts now are apparently "vintage", and who just spent about 700 bucks to get the car to NOT catch on fire when she drives it, I'm completely interested in "how cars work". But, I don't know that it's a topic that would work so well on a forum like this one.

Frankly, I'd be searching on a more "car intensive forum" than this one, if I wanted the input.

cuteguy37048 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Knight View Post
    Very cool! What kind of car did you race?

About twenty two years ago, I used to race a 1969 Z/28 at the local dragstrip. Ah, those were the days.

Daniel
    1993 Ford Ranger Splash. Stepside, 3.0 Liter (182 Cubic Inch) V6, dual straight pipes (street legal cuz it was within decibel limits), single cat, twin big bore chrome tips slash cut, advanced timing, MSD TCI Blaster coil, Hurst billet shifter knob, manual stick, 4 underdrive gears + Overdrive, over sized cone intake filter, plus I ran on 255-60-15 dayton SR street performance tires, also a vynal bed cover.

I ran very old school with no tachometer. Shifted on total engine sound. I beat my buddys dodge adventurer with a 318 and a stock mechanical fuel pump. He had a cam and a four barrel in his, problem was his fuel pump couldn't give him enough gas to finish me off by catching up. We were staged together.

I also beat a Honda Civic CRX staged together. But it was no ricer, he had some serious power you could here it on the rev. Problem was, all that power and no traction.

He gave me the nickname "Lone Ranger" kuz I was the only ranger out there.

I had 3.0 in black on the side of the truck. gorgeous truck. shame it got jammed into a wood light pole.

Guess God's got a better car in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Knight View Post
    Maybe she could get a special dispensation for posting in an automotive section?

And I'm sure that you know more than just that you have to put gasoline in it.

Daniel
    As an admin I can tell you you'd have to manually set all of her permissions to access or post to certain areas of the board. A pain in the **** sometimes but other times not so bad.