AgeMatch.com - the best dating site for inter-generational lovers!  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: concern about young readers

itsmejuli Guest

concern about young readers

Something really weird happened to me yesterday. I was contacted by Yahoo Messenger by a 15 yr old boy. He wanted to chat with me and I of course freaked. He said he'd been reading this forum. I told him that I could not be his friend and that I would not chat with him and I blocked him from contacting me again.

All I could think was wow.....what on earth is wrong with this kid. I guess there's no way to prevent anyone under 18 from viewing the forums.

Just a concern and a heads up in case he or another tries to contact someone. BTW his yahoo username was Alex something.

JennyJen Guest
    That is pretty freaky, by mistake when I rejoined this site I entered the wrong date of birth and it says I'm 11 not 21, and I've actually gotten PM's from newer members asking me about that (everyone else here knows me and how old I am) but it still kinda freaked some people out that an 11 year old was here.

I never got contacted by anyone though who was underage, most of the time I just ignore that anyway.

And no I'm not 11, I'm 21

whiterose is offline Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by itsmejuli View Post
    Something really weird happened to me yesterday. I was contacted by Yahoo Messenger by a 15 yr old boy. He wanted to chat with me and I of course freaked. He said he'd been reading this forum. I told him that I could not be his friend and that I would not chat with him and I blocked him from contacting me again.

All I could think was wow.....what on earth is wrong with this kid. I guess there's no way to prevent anyone under 18 from viewing the forums.

Just a concern and a heads up in case he or another tries to contact someone. BTW his yahoo username was Alex something.
    No, unfortunately, there's no way to screen readers to keep those who are under 18 from reading the site.

It sounds like you did the right thing by blocking him. We have had instances over the years where some members had to remove the link to yahoo IM from their profile so they stop getting IM's period.

Quote Originally Posted by JennyJen View Post
    That is pretty freaky, by mistake when I rejoined this site I entered the wrong date of birth and it says I'm 11 not 21, and I've actually gotten PM's from newer members asking me about that (everyone else here knows me and how old I am) but it still kinda freaked some people out that an 11 year old was here.

I never got contacted by anyone though who was underage, most of the time I just ignore that anyway.

And no I'm not 11, I'm 21
    Jen, I can fix that for you. So is your birth year 1987?

JennyJen Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by whiterose View Post

Jen, I can fix that for you. So is your birth year 1987?
    Yes, July 10, 1987 NOT 1997

SheLikesKitties is offline OW/YM 21YR GAP
    You did the right thing by blocking him.
    You do not want to be friends with a 15 yr old.
    That site PervertedJustice.com has not yet caught a woman and I know they keep trying.

It's all fixed now, Jen.

JennyJen Guest
    Thank you!

It feels good to be legal now.

truckman Guest
    No, unfortunately, there's no way to screen readers to keep those who are under 18 from reading the site.
    One doesn't need to sign up here to read posts - for I did so myself before joining as a member.

Maybe changing that for certain forums, such as the sexually-oriented ones at least might be a good idea. Certainly it wouldn't prevent a minor from signing up as a member and lying about their age, but it would reduce the casual non-members from combing through potentially risque posts.

Just a thought.

JennyJen Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by truckman View Post
    One doesn't need to sign up here to read posts - for I did so myself before joining as a member.

Maybe changing that for certain forums, such as the sexually-oriented ones at least might be a good idea. Certainly it wouldn't prevent a minor from signing up as a member and lying about their age, but it would reduce the casual non-members from combing through potentially risque posts.

Just a thought.
    Sexually speaking is already private so is the blogger section you have to be a member to read those parts of the board.

Quote Originally Posted by truckman View Post

Just a thought.

Actually, that's how it is already. Our forums are open to anyone who wants to read. However, one has to be a logged in, registered member to view certain sections, including the sexually speaking areas, The Den and Bloggers Corner.

And one has to be 18 to register here.

coloradogrrrl Guest
    Ah yes Alex, know him well.... he is indeed 15

coloradogrrrl Guest
    He is young, and a bit creepy, but harmless ....

coloradogrrrl Guest
    But I do agree, that Ageless should find a way to verify readers ages to ensure that they are 18 years or older, to prevent kids like Alex from trolling this site for older women and such. Just my humble opinion.

Well, again, there is no way to screen people's ages who are just reading the site. But we do not allow people to register here who are under 18. The best way to prevent someone who is a non-member from trolling you is to not display that you use an instant messenger service. Because that is how Alex is contacting you -- not from ageless itself.

truckman Guest
    Actually, that's how it is already. Our forums are open to anyone who wants to read. However, one has to be a logged in, registered member to view certain sections, including the sexually speaking areas, The Den and Bloggers Corner.

And one has to be 18 to register here.
    Most Cool

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast