AgeMatch.com - the best dating site for inter-generational lovers!  

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By truckman

Thread: Tapatalk a forum plugin

arctic is offline Member

Tapatalk a forum plugin

Hello

I didn't know where to post this so I thought this might be the best place.
    There is a plugin for the forums which allows you to browse and navigate the forum more comforable on a smartphone or tablet.
    Is it possible to add/install this feature to the board? As I browse regulary on my phone.
    More info on this Tapatalk

Links to the application
    Iphone
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tapa...307880732?mt=8

Ipad
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tapa...481579541?mt=8

Android
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...lkpro.activity

Blackberry
    Buy Tapatalk Forum App - Download Tapatalk Forum App - Buy Apps from BlackBerry App World

Kind regards
    Flying solo again

Blue-Angel75 is offline Blue Angel
    I have an iphone, I am from Canada and the forum works perfectly on mine.

I have heard of taptalk, but have no idea what it is, as I have never had to research any other tool to access the board.

Normally I access the board when I communicate with Chi77 a lot.

BA
    "Mimic what successful people are doing, copy it, practice it, costumize it so that it suits you, I promise you this: you will not fail!"
    "If you don't create an opportunity, you will never experience failure--therefore never really experience successes" Both by me!

If you flirt with me, I may just flirt right back at ya!

whiterose is offline Administrator
    Arctic, I'll pass along your suggestion to the site owner representative. I know they recently updated the site to make it accessible to phones and it is working fine for me. But not familiar with the plug in you are recommending. We'll see what they say.

truckman Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by whiterose View Post
    Arctic, I'll pass along your suggestion to the site owner representative. I know they recently updated the site to make it accessible to phones and it is working fine for me. But not familiar with the plug in you are recommending. We'll see what they say.
    While this forum and many others work great on phones because modern phones have decent browsers, there's a lot of stuff to load - fonts and colors, tables, emoticons, div tags, ads, and so on.

Tapatalk is a client-server system whereas the server piece runs on the vbulletin server, and the client piece on the phone. What is transferred between is mostly just the content - the text within the posts, minimally organized by thread name.

By eliminating or significantly reducing all the elements of html that makes things pretty, reading posts, threads and topics is much much faster as there is less overhead on the client's network provider (3G, 4G, regardless of brand).

If you were to pick any forum page on Ageless and dissect it down to the basic elements, you'll find that only 20-30% of what gets downloaded by the browser are the words people want to read, and the other 70-80% of what gets downloaded is what makes it pretty.
    Angel likes this.

whiterose is offline Administrator
    Thanks for the info, Truckman. Contacted the site owners about the suggestion and he said we are going to be installing vBulletin 5 Connect when it moves from Beta to Commercial. It is highly optimized for mobile devices so no third party plugins are needed.

truckman Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by whiterose View Post
    Thanks for the info, Truckman. Contacted the site owners about the suggestion and he said we are going to be installing vBulletin 5 Connect when it moves from Beta to Commercial. It is highly optimized for mobile devices so no third party plugins are needed.
    I've played with the beta of that myself and while it's a bit of a pain to set up on your end, it's quite slick on the phones. Not as "spare" as tapatalk, but it does cut the fancyness way down enough to make reading posts on a smartphone very pleasant.