AgeMatch.com - the best dating site for inter-generational lovers!  

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: OW/YM Dynamics

Kristin is offline Senior Member

OW/YM Dynamics

A thread started by PinkCat got me thinking (woke up at 3am, LOL) about doing a poll about the differences in a 10 year gap vs. 20 and so on.

However, it soon became clear, that the actual SIZE of the gap wasn't as influential as WHEN the age gap occurs in the OW/YM's life-stages.

For example, my AGR is 13 years. To someone with a 25 year gap, that may seem like nothing - but it depends WHEN the gap occurs.

In my case, he was 23 and I was 36. For many women, that would mean a guy just getting into serious relationships, still partying, no or new career, eventually wanting to marry and wanting kids vs. a woman already with teenage kids, settled in a career, maybe owning her home, past the party stage, getting close to the point of no return with childbearing.

(But, for us, he already had a good job and kids. He still likes to go out, but is past the bars-every-night stage. THAT made a HUGE difference to this 36 yo woman!)

Now, take that same 13 years and push it back. Say the man is 18 and the woman is 31. Now, the guy is more likely to still be in school, probably living at home, no job to speak of, probably has had no real adult relationships, could even be a virgin still not even legal to drink, so hasn't even had his "party" stage yet. The woman is in prime childbearing and marriage years, probably already has a career. However, if he decides he wants to get married and have kids in 5 years, she is still very well capable of this.

Move that 13 year AG farther down the road - he is 45 and she is 58. He most likely has a career, his own place, experienced in relationships and probably has kids with an ex. Most likey, if it were me, my biggest worry would be my looks going and my health - but all of the worries that I had when I was first getting into my relationship really wouldn't apply at all.

Of course, as the gap gets larger - 20+ or so, you start to see these things overlap. For instance, YM20 and OW40. By the time he's ready for kids, she probably won't be able to do it naturally. He's hitting his stride and she's getting to pre-menopausal years, LOL! You could have kids his age and could be mistaken for his mother.

Anyhow, I just thought it was interesting - the different dynamics of various scenarios - all with the same gap.

Even my own dynamic is changing. As I get closer to 40 and Jeremy is still in his 20's. I AM starting to show my age quicker than I did in my early 30's and I think the 13 year difference could be very apparent for the next few years, until Jeremy starts to age more.

Just the other day, Jermey, Jersey and I went out for breakfast. The whole time, the waiter was very attentive to me and at the end, he put the bill in front of me. Now, before when Jeremy and I went out as a couple, the bill always went in front of him. I guess I hadn't really noticed, but Jeremy did. He said, a bit irritated, "That waiter must think I'm your kid. Otherwise, he would have given me the bill." And it's true! ACK! (Admittedly, Jeremy was wearing a t-shirt and baseball cap, which always makes him look younger.) But that was the first time that anyone made that mistake and it stung a bit.

But, it'll only get worse as I progress through my 40's and Jeremy is in his 30's. I know I could pass for 20's when I was in my 30's. So, the age difference will only get more pronounced.

So, as that 13 year gap proceeds through the years, the issues will change, until, eventually, there should be no issues at all again (I hope!) BAsically, we had no real isues, now issues may develop for a while and then they should settle down again.

I guess this is something to consider when we, as a community, look at "baby-gaps" and "VYM" and "mega gaps" and such. What really matters is the life stage, and not the gap itself. This could be a good thing for "newbies" to read.

So, what stage were you in and how do you see it playing out in the future?
    Last edited by Kristin; 09-28-2006 at 09:20 AM.
    Claudia likes this.

kittylane is offline Senior Member
    i have had a career for many years and adam will be selecting his when he gets out of the army, its kinda exciting to see where we will end up.

i never really had a husband that took care of me and adam is certainly like that. i dont mean financially although this is his desire, i mean emotionally available and kind and generous, i try to reciprocate this back to him also.

i dont see my age these days because i am loved, i actually have more confidence because of it. maybe in 10 years we will have more issues, it seems early on we really just accepted each other.

instead of changing him or me, we just accept where we are and enjoy it.

rose30lavon20 Guest

A newbie perspectivve

I have been with my sweetie for almost 2 years ( November 4). I met him when he was 18 YIKES and I was 28!!!! For me it was and still is hard because I come from a family where the man takes care of the woman and he's just not at that place yet. He's still trying to figure out what he wants to do. he's now 20 and still is trying to find out what he wants to do whereas me i have a very good job and career and have that down packed.

I wish sometimes he had some clue but I remember when I was 20 i had no idea either so i can't be that mad at him now can I ?

Right now I am trying to just hang loose and have fun and enjoy the love he gives me and the attention :-)

On my 30th birthday this year, he sent 2 dozen pink roses to me ......i took pictures of them and dried them and i've never had anything like that happen to me b4 him.

okay so i am rambling and will shut up now

rosiecotton Guest
    Yep, there's "only" 11 years between me and Andrew but he's just hit 19 and I'm 30 and it does make a difference I think. People expect him to be wanting to go out and party, and don't expect him to be happily living with a 30 year old woman. And yes, there are some issues there (which I'm posting about on another thread) about the work, money thing - but I still wouldn't swap him for the world.

Yes he was inexperienced and I found that quite frightening at first but ultimately we both wanted to be together and we overcame any of those worries.

thesedays Guest
    Kristin - I can SO relate to the story at the rest.

The other day we were in the mall. Ryan, my son and me. My son is 15, but has full facial hair, and looks about 19. We were there to buy shoes for Tyler and Ryan and while I'm paying for the shoes .......the young sales girl was flirting with Ryan .....then I noticed she thought they were both my kids.

I just started laughing and said "Come along boys" ......but still it was a sting also.

It's strange, because it seems most people don't notice our age gap ....people in my age group? However, then we're around "younger" people and they seem to notice.

My age gap is 11 years .....not so big "on the scale" ......but is big when looking at "where we're at". Ryan has JUST now get a better job, after I've been paying for most thing for 3 years ........he is still bad at spending money, he has some very "young" points of view regarding how to handle certain situations.

Hmmm.........not sure, it seems the problems we're having at 25 - 36 will "mend" as he gets older ..........but new problems might surface as I also get older.

Ryan states he doesn't want kids, which is perfect for me, because my son is 16 .......however, if he changes his mind in 10 years, well, he can. However, if he changes his mind in 10 years, I'll be almost 50 !!

bubbleee Guest
    Phil and I are really far, far different from most of the couples on this community. We have a 33 year gap. He's in the dreaded "VYM" category.

The dynamics of our relationship are that he's starting out in life and I'm starting out all over again. My career has never been better. I've never been more successful. Even though I've known him a pretty long time, I've never let him be a "hanger on" even if he is still in college and paying his own way with no help from the family. Why would I want to be with a hanger on guy regardless of his age? He pays his bills. He doesn't buy video games, CD's because he can't afford them. He does laundry, housework, dish duty, just like me. We are as equal partners in this relationship as we could possibly be considering ALL of our resources. We both give it the best we've got.

I'm helping him get started in life by putting a roof over his head. One day he will help me when I'm retired and he has his doctorate.

There really isn't a formula to all of us in AGR's. Phil and I live, laugh, love and be happy as bugs in a rug.

*We're probably doomed to failure* lol.

PinkCat is offline Animals are people too!
    Great post, Kristin!

We were 19 (him) and 29 when we got together. He was a pretty inexperienced guy, in post-sec when we met. I was just out of a marriage... so in a way we were both just starting out. I loved the fact that he didn't have baggage and that he was so sweet and unjaded.

In 4 years, he has really matured a lot, both physically and emotionally. He looks older than he is, which works for me (while at the same time he has a baby face... I love that!). And he's really becoming a terrific man... he was a man when I met him, but just a newly-launched one, haha. He's really a great person. Anyway, he's still trying to get into his chosen career -- he wants to be a cop. He's applied to several forces in the area and is currently considering applying to the RCMP (oh my, would he look CUTE in a Mountie uniform or WHAT??? of course, contrary to most Yanks' views, those are just used for ceremonies, haha, but still... CUTE!!!!!). And he's still working in the family business as a bartender.

Anyway, even in 4 years, our age-gap issues have changed. At first, it was all about, "Oh, what will everyone think?" Then I realized that people have better things to worry about. Now it's more, "What if he isn't ready to settle down in the next 4-5 years? And OH, what if I'M not ready???" But seeing how much he has grown in the last four, I think in the next 4, good things await.

I can't even imagine what I would have thrown away if I had let 10 measly years get in the way!!!!
    Last edited by PinkCat; 09-28-2006 at 12:49 PM.

Lesson learned: do not attempt a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.

christie Guest

Interesting

I like the perspectives you came up with when you brought up when the gaps occurred/started. Mine is 13 years but he is 35 and I am 48. I cannot relate to a lot of the problems posted here because a 35 year old is (in most cases) more stable than a 19-24 yr old.

With some of the VYM postings, I almost can relate from having sons that age rather than my own relationships. I have to admit that sometimes, sometimes with those VYM postings I wonder what the heck the women are thinking-getting involved with someone so young. I get that from the son perspective-living with them, man I wonder why someone would do that do themselves on purpose. I am NOT trying to be judgemental at all.

Interesting thread.....thanks for thinking of it.

PinkCat is offline Animals are people too!
    Quote Originally Posted by christie

With some of the VYM postings, I almost can relate from having sons that age rather than my own relationships. I have to admit that sometimes, sometimes with those VYM postings I wonder what the heck the women are thinking-getting involved with someone so young. I get that from the son perspective-living with them, man I wonder why someone would do that do themselves on purpose. I am NOT trying to be judgemental at all.
    I totally understand -- but remember, when a guy is with his parents/family he is going to act totally differently than when he's with a woman he's interested in! Hell, even when I go home to see my parents I turn into a whiny adolescent, "Aw, why can't you make me some eggs, mommmmm??? Cooome onnnn... whaaa" and I'm 33! Haha.
    matahari likes this.

Lesson learned: do not attempt a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.

Rob Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristin
    I guess this is something to consider when we, as a community, look at "baby-gaps" and "VYM" and "mega gaps" and such. What really matters is the life stage, and not the gap itself. This could be a good thing for "newbies" to read.

I think there IS a point in what you're saying, to an extent. BUT (and you had to know this was coming from me ) I don't think it's a good idea to categorise people by age quite so much.

We've got an 18 year gap... she's 44, I'm 26. Right now, according to stereotypes, I'm supposed to have been embarking on a career for the last few years, still be in party mode, not wanting to settle down, etc. However, I only graduated from university last year, my 'career' is not underway, I'm definitely not in 'party mode' and haven't been for a good few years, and I've been wanting to settle down for as long as I can remember.

She's supposed to be at the high point of her career, but she's only just started a job she really wants to do and progress in. She's really not 'that' far ahead of me in that respect. Plus, I'm MORE LIKELY to be the one to want to stay in and not head off to a pub or bar.

You just can't pigeon hole people, there's always the ones who'll surprise you. Like Bubblee's Phil (and probably me) there are those that are different than others, there's something that separates us from others in our age group. I think it would be far more worthwhile, when someone is asking for advice, to try and get to what the ym (or ow) is 'like' instead of just looking at their age. Basically, focus on individual personalities.

Of course, some issues like childbearing are a little different.

Kristin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob
    I don't think it's a good idea to categorise people by age quite so much...

You just can't pigeon hole people, there's always the ones who'll surprise you. Like Bubblee's Phil (and probably me) there are those that are different than others, there's something that separates us from others in our age group. I think it would be far more worthwhile, when someone is asking for advice, to try and get to what the ym (or ow) is 'like' instead of just looking at their age. Basically, focus on individual personalities.

Of course, some issues like childbearing are a little different.
    I think you missed my point, Rob.

I'm saying pretty much what you are saying.

You can't catatorize by the size of the gap nor the ages, per se. Not all 13 year gaps are the same, nor are all 25 year old men nor 39 year old women.

This thread gives the opportunity to show people that all age gap scenarios are different. Even if you have two YM and they are both 22 yo and bothhave an AGR of 18 years - it's the stage of life the people are in, experience, etc that makes the difference, NOT THE GAP.

YOUR 18 year gap at your age would be different than an 18 year gap for a YM who is only 18 or a man who is 40 and his OW is 58. See what I mean?
    Last edited by Kristin; 09-28-2006 at 04:09 PM.

satya Guest
    From what I've read here I think my situation is quite different to many OW/YM relationships. When my fiance & I met he was 22 & I was 39 (now 23 & 40 respectively). He already had a child & a well paid job. I was separated after 13 years with my husband, had a good job & no kids.

He used to spend a lot of time with his mates but I soon got included in that and in no time at all it changed to us spending lots of time together without the mates. It was a pretty quick transition once he realised that he wanted me permanently in his life. We spend heaps of time with each other's families and everyone is outwardly approving of our situation now.

I have been mistaken for his mother 3 times in 15 months which isn't too bad, and it's always been on one of those days where I've left the house without putting any effort into how I look. I realise this will happen more as I age and hope that the more it happens the less I will react badly to it. He handles it far better than me, but I guess if roles were reversed I would handle it well too!!!

Enamour Guest
    A thread started by PinkCat got me thinking (woke up at 3am, LOL) about doing a poll about the differences in a 10 year gap vs. 20 and so on.

However, it soon became clear, that the actual SIZE of the gap wasn't as influential as WHEN the age gap occurs in the OW/YM's life-stages.

Reading the answers on here is very interesting.

I know some couples have bigger age-gaps and are making it work but I still believe that an age gap of more than 11/12 years is too much for me to deal with. I still have problems with the idea that I could "be his mother". And my ex-vym had the same issue: as long as he thought I was in my late 20s/early 30s he was ready to try but 18 years was just too much.

I keep asking myself whether my relationship with my vym could have worked had the gap been halved. Had he been, say 25 and me 34, with the possibility to raise a family (we're at radically opposite stages on that), would he have been more grown up and ready? I'll never know. From what I've read on this board though, the main ingredient is how 'grown up' both partners are.

On the other hand, examples given above about age-gap problems I didn't have - such as the need to party (we can drink from 16 years old over here so the only time we went to a party together we both got drunk) as he's not into that too much and I am still very young in that sense - single, no children, I can party (only seem to get tired earlier than I did). We are both on the same level emotionally too (I'm such a naive little girl at heart) so no big gap there either.

Enamour Guest

Reading the answers on here is very interesting.

I know some couples have bigger age-gaps and are making it work but I still believe that an age gap of more than 11/12 years is too much for me to deal with. I still have problems with the idea that I could "be his mother". And my ex-vym had the same issue: as long as he thought I was in my late 20s/early 30s he was ready to try but 18 years was just too much.

I keep asking myself whether my relationship with my vym could have worked had the gap been halved. Had he been, say 25 and me 34, with the possibility to raise a family (we're at radically opposite stages on that), would he have been more grown up and ready? I'll never know. From what I've read on this board though, the main ingredient is how 'grown up' both partners are.

On the other hand, examples given above about age-gap problems I didn't have - such as the need to party (we can drink from 16 years old over here so the only time we went to a party together we both got drunk) as he's not into that too much and I am still very young in that sense - single, no children, I can party (only seem to get tired earlier than I did). We are both on the same level emotionally too (I'm such a naive little girl at heart) so no big gap there either.

Rob Guest
    I think you missed my point, Rob.

I'm saying pretty much what you are saying.

You can't catatorize by the size of the gap nor the ages, per se. Not all 13 year gaps are the same, nor are all 25 year old men nor 39 year old women.
    Perhaps, but I got a little confused when I read this:

This thread gives the opportunity to show people that all age gap scenarios are different. Even if you have two YM and they are both 22 yo and bothhave an AGR of 18 years - it's the stage of life the people are in, experience, etc that makes the difference, NOT THE GAP.
    and then this:

YOUR 18 year gap at your age would be different than an 18 year gap for a YM who is only 18 or a man who is 40 and his OW is 58. See what I mean?

They seem kind of 'at odds' with each other. I would say that my 18 year age gap 'could' be different than an 18 year olds. Perhaps is more likely to be different than the same. But there's also the possibility that it would be much the same, which is what the first quote said really. Going back to careers... a mate of mine by 18 was in the same (more advanced actually) situation as I am now. He'd been working full time for a couple of years and was on his way to establishing his own business a few years later. I'm just starting out really.

I do generally agree with you though, I'm probably being picky.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast