AgeMatch.com - the best dating site for inter-generational lovers!  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Paws vs Christmas

SheLikesKitties is offline OW/YM 21YR GAP

Paws vs Christmas

This is the situation:
    Nick and I were talking about going to IN for Christmas, which is lovely because he has a great family. For me it is both a pleasure and a sacrifice, pleasure because it is fun, and they are great, and sacrifice because of the expense, leaving my 82 yr old mom, and gaining weight, (not necessarily in that order).
    I always assumed that Roxy (my 3 yr old Schnauzer) would go to a dog hotel for one week, and I found a good one with social activities for dogs (Roxy is VERY social) swimming pool where they teach them to swim dogie style, and 3 walks a day and even an option of a camera so you can watch the dog over the internet. I mean, that sounds like wow! something Roxy would enjoy. Specially the social part.

But Nick wont hear about this and wants Roxy to stay with my mom. My mom has her own elderly dog, and when her housekeeper is on holiday, my mom has to walk her dog 3 times a day, or have to clean pee and poo. Her dog is serene, walks slow, and does not pull on the leash. Roxy, on the other hand, pulls on the leash, is used to walking at a brisk pace, and gets tangled with my mom's dog if you try to take them both at the same time.

So I really do not want to leave Roxy with my mom. Imagine an old lady having to walk a dog 6 times a day. Too much!!! What if she falls and breaks a hip when Roxy pulls? And me being away?!!!

So it seems the solution is that I do not go to Indiana, but Nick wants me to go.

Opinions?
    You know it's love when the pain of being apart is greater than the pain of being together.

Faith is offline Some assembly required
    No matter how luxurious the doggy hotel accommodations may be, animals simply do not understand why they have been abandoned there. While on vacation, I've boarded 2 of my cats in the nicest places possible, but they were miserable there. When they came home again, they acted out rather badly. One became quite ill because she stopped eating while she was boarded.

I didn't have the option of leaving my pets with anyone else. But you do! Ask your mother to try walking the 2 dogs together and see how it goes before you reject the idea.

Will the housekeeper really be gone at the same time? It would be better to spend your money on a temporary housekeeper than on a doggy hotel, both for Roxy's and for your mother's sakes. Or hire a temporary dog-walker to come take both dogs out. They're strong and know how to handle all kinds of dogs.

Where is your ever-lovin' son in all this?
    legallyblonde likes this.
    "Leave the gun...take the cannoli."

thatoneperson is offline Senior Member
    Are there any pet sitting services in your area? You might be able to hire someone to come to your house so that you don't have to take poochie anywhere.
    SheLikesKitties likes this.

theREALTrish is offline Senior Member
    Faith makes a good point. What about your son?

I'm going to Chicago on Saturday to spend Thanksgiving with my son (I'll be home on 12/7) and I'm freaking out about leaving my Reilly (he's a Cockapoo). He'll be here with my daughter, and she adores him, but she'll be at work all day. Since I've been unemployed, Reilly has gotten used to me being home with him. We've had him for a little over six years and he was a stray when we adopted him. He's about 8 or 9-years-old now and he's always had separation anxiety.

I know he'll be fine but I'm going to worry.....and I'll miss him.

But, I'll be visiting my grand-doggies....I don't have grandchildren but my son has dogs. lol!

I hope you work something out, SLK.

My son will probably be spending some time with his father, unless my ex's gf stays in Panama for Christmas, which would make sense. But he may decide to leave the city with friends, so basically my mom will be spending at least 2 days alone with the 2 dogs. I love the idea of a house/dog sitter, but that is not available in Panama, however, I will talk to the building's administration so they can recommend one of the janitors to walk the dogs after work hours.

Another idea would be for me to give my son the key to our cabin so he could invite his friends, and take both dogs with him.
    You know it's love when the pain of being apart is greater than the pain of being together.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ukfireball View Post
    Can you take Roxy with you? There's no requirements for bringing Dogs into the US, and Some US Airlines will even let you bring your Dog in the cabin, if they are under 25ib. Heavier Dogs have to go in the hold; my Dog has been to the Philippines and back this way.

Or perhaps you have a close friend or somebody at work that you trust, who can look after Roxy.
    I will check with a travel agent.

christina923 is offline Senior Member
    dogs usually love kennels! the newness, the activity, the stimulation. SLK who???? oh...her...lets go swimming! tell nick to get over it.... its a vacation for the dog. just do it.
    honestly... i think he is wrong to nix the kennel idea and to put your mother in a position or you don't go. how selfish of him really. tell him i said so

If you do decide to board Roxy, I'd suggest trying out the kennel now, for one night or one weekend, to see how well Roxy does there. Of course the kennel wants your business so they'll always tell you everything's fine. If you opt for the camera, you can keep a close eye on Roxy during her experimental visit and see for yourself. Then you can make an informed decision about whether or not to keep her there all Christmas week.

RadoG60 is offline Senior Member
    I have always felt bad when I had to put my dog into a kennel. Yes, he didn't want me to leave, and I of course felt bad with his sad face looking at me. But it always seemed like he had fun, and made friends. He was always happy to see me return, but I could tell he wanted to have me watch him play with his new doggie friends too.
    She will be getting attention, and she will make friends.

Is Nick just against the cost?

Quote Originally Posted by RadoG60 View Post
    I have always felt bad when I had to put my dog into a kennel. Yes, he didn't want me to leave, and I of course felt bad with his sad face looking at me. But it always seemed like he had fun, and made friends. He was always happy to see me return, but I could tell he wanted to have me watch him play with his new doggie friends too.
    She will be getting attention, and she will make friends.

Is Nick just against the cost?
    No, but we did have a bad experience a couple years ago, when Roxy was just a puppy, and we left her in a kennel, where they just put her in a cage for the weekend. We had just gotten her a couple weeks ago, so she probably thought she was changing living arrangements again, for the worse. When the assistant brought her, she looked sad and dragging, but when she saw us, she was overjoyed.

In the Vet where they cut her hair, they do not walk her at all, so she is holding her pee for about 4 hours until we get her back. Nick is afraid of that those bad things will happen to her.

So far I bounced the idea of taking her to the US and he nayed it.
    He rejected an idea of my son taking care of her.
    He is dead set it's going to be my mother. Now he is saying that if I do not go, he wont go.
    At least he accepted taking a look at the hotel next week.

VenusDarkStarLA is offline Senior Member
    So it's Nick's idea to go to the US for Christmas, but he wants it his way. I think it's very unfair to place so much responsibility on a senior lady who keeps up with her own dog because he isn't so active.

I thought the environment of the doggy hotel you described sounded wonderful. When I worked for veterinarians many years ago, some pet owners would actually board their dogs at the hospital, where they would be caged for the greater part of the day and put out in a dog run (weather permitting) for brief periods. The kennel attendants would try to exercise them, but since the focus was on caring for convalescing animals, they didn't always have time. Some of these people had plenty of money too, so it annoyed me.

Pet sitting services are good, as long as it's a reputable company, but it doesn't sound like Nick likes that idea either, even if you had the service in your area. Any private party probably isn't going to be bonded, and do you want to hand a stranger a key to your home?

Flying is stressful on animals, and this flight will be long. I know you won't allow your furry family member to be treated like cargo, so just make sure that each airline you have to take allows pets in the cabin and weight limits etc. Another thought...they have bathrooms on board for a reason. If we aren't expected to "hold it" for a long flight, where did you plan on walking your doggie to do his business? If he poops in the carrier, that's not going to be good. haha

5 Tips for Flying with Your Pet: Animal Planet

I still like the doggy hotel the best.

whiterose is offline Administrator
    I have two dogs and cannot walk them at the same time as they are too much for me. I agree completely that would put your elderly mother at risk of falling and wouldn't recommend she watch the dog.

My dogs have to board fairly regularly because of my travel with work. They do get nervous at first, but shortly after I drop them off they settle in fine. The place you are considering for boarding sounds really nice, and a much better option of your mother being the caretaker or taking the dog with you. But I do agree with the suggestion that you check it out in person in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by whiterose View Post
    My dogs have to board fairly regularly because of my travel with work. They do get nervous at first, but shortly after I drop them off they settle in fine.
    Hmm, this gives me an idea. I imagine that whiterose's 2 dogs are fine being boarded because they're in it together.

SLK, perhaps your mother's dog could also go to board with Roxy? After all, the housekeeper will be gone, leaving your poor mother to care for her dog all by herself. Oh wait, your mother would probably get lonely without her doggy.

Oh, I give up. Here's the only logical solution:
    All of you... both dogs, your mother, you, and Nick should stay at the doggy hotel together. How about that?
    Mebel and degausser like this.

christina923 is offline Senior Member
    don't give the dog human emotions.
    roxy will do just fine... dogs live in the moment...she is not going to be pining for mommy and daddy...she is going to be wondering what the dude next door is barking about, decide its fun and join in.
    legallyblonde likes this.

I am almost 90 percent leaning towards me not going.
    I suggested other solutions like hiring a house sitter, or having my son take her with him, but no. Only solution accaptable is Roxy staying at my moms. So... its only going to be one week anyways.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast