AgeMatch.com - the best dating site for inter-generational lovers!  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Have you made any progress with your Christmas shopping?

SheLikesKitties is offline OW/YM 21YR GAP

Have you made any progress with your Christmas shopping?

I am kind of behind. I am trying to buy presents for Nick to take to Indiana, and he is not helping me at all with useful suggestions. Everything he suggests is something that HE would like for himself. It's like he is practically suggesting wrestling DVDs for his mom... just kidding, but we are this close. I think that this where the culture gap is more evident, I know how to buy for my latina friends who are about my age, specially jewelry (big and flashy), clothes (colorful and sexy), and makeup (bold), but my mother in law is so different in her tastes that I find myself shopping for tiny jewelry and neutral colored clothes and then I wonder if they are too summery and not appropriate as Christmas presents.

So, I bought her a tray for her dresser, to put jewelry on, it has a pretty silver seashell, and I may get her Panamanian hot sauces (that I know she likes from her visits), and Nick's dad will get some nice highland organic Panamanian coffee, and a nice coffee mug. But still, I think that those are lame presents. Suggestions?
    You know it's love when the pain of being apart is greater than the pain of being together.

laurad121 is offline Senior Member
    Since Indiana is a colder part of the USA, a special throw blanket in fleece material (smaller size) to snuggle on the couch would be a good one to add to your father in law's coffee and mug gift. Lands' End | Swimwear, Outerwear, Casual Clothing and more or L.L.Bean--Shipped for Free, Guaranteed to Last would have this. A warm sweater from either of these websites would be an option too. For your mother in law you could do an online search for spas or nail salons in their town and order a manicure, pedicure or massage gift certificate by phone or on the place's website. I think the Panama sauces are a good idea too since you know your mother in law likes them. A picture of you and Nick in a beautiful frame to put on their mantle or shelf would be loved by a mother in law too. Hope some of these ideas help....

chi77 Guest
    I have not begun. Luckily I don't have a lot of presents to buy, maybe 10 at the most. We do a secret Santa every year in my family. At Thanksgiving everyone writes their name and three items they want on a piece of paper and then we fold them up and toss them in a hat and everyone chooses. We also each buy one gag gift or white elephant gift, the point is to find something that no one wants. We don't all open our real presents all at once, but one at a time. Then we put numbers on a little piece of paper into a hat and each choose one. The person with #1 picks the first wrapped gag gift and opens it. Then the person with #2 can either take that one away from person #1 or choose another and so on. It's a lot of fun. Last year my 88 year old mother got a wind up alarm clock with Jimmi Hendrix picture on it and my son got my used Yoga Toes Name:  yoga toes.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  3.0 KB. It was great.

I think you should buy Panamanian presents for your hubby's family in Indiana and I don't think the ones you mentioned sound lame at all.

I'm also the type of person who puts a lot of thought into buying presents. When I was married I would try very hard to think of very nice gifts for my mother-in-law and she would usually buy me a really cheap sweater that I didn't like. One year she bought my daughter and I matching sweatshirts.
    Last edited by chi77; 12-02-2012 at 01:40 PM.

thatoneperson is offline Senior Member
    I am completely done with my shopping

Dad - CDs
    Mom - Pajamas and pitched in for iPad 1
    Older sister - Lovely set of Bailey's with two glasses
    Nephew - Lego furniture set that lets you make one of three *real* pieces of furniture (Legos are specially designed to be sat upon)
    Younger sister - Deep frier
    Friend - Pokemon Black, Call of Duty dogtags
    OM - electronic device to build (it's a robot mouse that chases light!), "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies", Star Trek Enterprise pizza cutter, and a chromosome towel so that he knows which one is his when he takes a shower

Redhead is offline Senior Member
    I only have to buy something for my daughter and for myself. So I have no problem with Christmas shopping.

laurad121 is offline Senior Member
    I forgot to comment on my own xmas shopping! I am all done for my boyfriend. I got him 2 North Face fleeces that are pullovers with a hood that he mentioned ex girlfriends of his stole from him through the years. I also got him a great sweatshirt of his favorite band that is so cool plus their new CD on preorder and also tickets for their NYC show in March.

I got some things for my younger daughter with autism that are "Annoying Orange" themed but don't know what else to get her. She loves spiders so I am thinking to get her a remote controlled tarantula. She has very obscure taste in things and I may look into other insects to get her like a lady bug that is realistic and an ant if I can find them.

My older daughter gave me a huge list of clothes from an online store I have never heard of called Brandie Melville but all of the things she wants are sold out. She also wants tons of makeup that I can only order online.

I don't know what the heck to get for my niece and nephew. My brother is so wealthy and they have everything imaginable so not sure there. Might be gift cards.

The only other people I buy for are my parents. I usually get my mom clothes to update her style a bit which I plan to get at Kohls and my dad is a huge Home Depot guy so he probably will be a gift card.

degausser is offline Senior Member
    I haven't started yet, but I really need to. I'm always last minute, which is ridiculous considering the amount of people I have to buy for! I don't know how that happened, but I've recently found myself with a rather large family. Have to shop for mom, dad, dad's girlfriend, dad's girlfriend's daughter, dad's girlfriend's daughter's boyfriend, dad's girlfriend's daughter's boyfriend's mom, cousin, niece, nephew, boyfriend, co-worker. My boyfriend's family does secret Santa, but everyone ends up getting a little something for everyone anyway...so that's a "little something" for another 4 people besides whoever we got in secret Santa. Yikes!

Oh, and we also celebrate Hanukkah with my dad's girlfriend and that group. Yikes again! Writing this all out has motivated me to start online shopping right this minute.

NY10 is offline Senior Member
    I haven't started, the most I have done so far is make the list of people I am buying for but still have no idea what I am buying. I find it to be more stressful, my parents are easy but extended family and my SO's family are harder and like you, he is no help in helping me.

Your gifts for his parents do sound nice though.

For my office secret santa I got a gift certificate from a gourmet bakery/deli/mini-mart. They have delicious, decadent stuff there.
    You know it's love when the pain of being apart is greater than the pain of being together.

MissMuffins is offline Senior Member
    Not really. I will put up the tree today, though.

MM
    "Our past is a story existing only in our minds. Look, analyze, understand, and forgive. Then, as quickly as possible, chuck it." ~ Marianne Williamson

thatoneperson is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMuffins View Post
    Not really. I will put up the tree today, though.

MM
    I did get a wreath this year

http://instagr.am/p/SolYSoBjTz/

gorillagirl Guest
    i grew up non religious jewish and we celebrated xmas with presents (no jesus stuff though- just presents and family and food).
    this year, i have one present i'm committed to. i'm sewing a black hooded fleece poncho for my aspie friend. he fell in love with mine but it's too small so i'm making one to fit him. haven't sewn in years and the hood will be the hardest part. other than that, i'm not participating in the frenzy to spend $ i don't have on stuff nobody really needs. in our extended family, we all agreed to not give each other gifts but to buy ourselves an xmas present. i buy a present for my house (to improve the house). this year, my house gets 2 new bathroom ceiling lights since the old ones have been here longer than i've owned the house and got a bit rusty. growing up, my favorite gift was always new socks and undies. i'm not much for "stuff." i have a multicolored fiber optic mini tree and i'll put that up soon. for me, xmas is all about the lights and i really enjoy driving around looking at how people decorate their homes.

christina923 is offline Senior Member
    SLK...you gift ideas are great! don't second guess yourself.... i love your ideas!

yes, i'm done. some token gifts to husbands co workers and some friends/family. i try to make a point to find some families that could use some extra help this time of year and send a card with a gift inside.
    SheLikesKitties likes this.

whiterose is offline Administrator
    I am about 90% done with my shopping. Just a few things left to buy and some stocking stuffers.

Quote Originally Posted by gorillagirl View Post
    i have a multicolored fiber optic mini tree and i'll put that up soon. for me, xmas is all about the lights and i really enjoy driving around looking at how people decorate their homes.
    Drat! I had one of those and lost the base. Grrrrrr.
    It was so pretty and easy to assemble and store.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast