AgeMatch.com - the best dating site for inter-generational lovers!  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: My sweetheart had a heart attack last Saturday- need advice on Social Security Dis.

1love is offline Senior Member

My sweetheart had a heart attack last Saturday- need advice on Social Security Dis.

Last Saturday Jeff had a heart attack. He already had been diagnosed with congestive heart failure 7 years ago when he was 35, he also has diabetes and high blood pressure. His heart function is at 10% and he received a defibrillator implant. He is now home, and living with me. His cardiologist said he would sign off on him getting disability. I am now wondering if I should first contact an attorney, or if I should just apply first. Does anyone know?

This is a really difficult time for us. We are both in school, about 5 weeks away from the end of the semester. He was also working full-time. He cannot go back to his job. I am graduating in 5 weeks, but do not yet have a job. There are a lot of unknowns... financial and otherwise. He moved in with me last Dec. to help me with bills and such, until I get a job. Now, there is a turnaround. I will be helping him with everything, when I can't yet help myself. I don't want to whine about it, I just want to be proactive. He also did not have health insurance, and I did already apply for medical for him.

Any advice from those who have experienced anything similar, would be apppreciated.
    I've decided that the stuff falling through the cracks is confetti and I'm having a party! ~Betsy Cañas Garmon

thatoneperson is offline Senior Member
    Miss Muffins seems to know a lot about this topic. I think Azureth is also on disability. They may be good people to ask.
    Percy and 1love like this.

degausser is offline Senior Member
    Is he still employed? If so, I would look into getting something temporary and more immediate - FMLA or Short Term Disability. If he's already ended his employment, then go for Social Security Disability. Definitely contact an attorney. Applying is definitely doable without an attorney...it's just time consuming, not guaranteed, and won't have instant results.

If he's still employed, I can't stress enough - contact an employment attorney immediately. Look for one that offers a free consultation. If finances are a problem, they might not be able to represent you, but at least they can point you in the right direction.
    1love and Percy like this.

Faith is offline Some assembly required
    1love, I'm so terribly sorry. How frightening for the both of you.

About applying for Disability: I initially tried with a lawyer, but found that I was still the person who had to do everything, and the lawyer just stressed me out and lost me time. So instead I went to my county's public health agency for assistance; they have a special unit for helping people with their Disability applications.

I am on Disability now, and have been for a year. It took a medical professional to confirm my condition and submit the paperwork on my behalf, then my application was promptly approved. So I'm inclined to think you don't need a lawyer. It sounds like his doctor's word is gold for this purpose.

But of course, your mileage may vary.

Don't be afraid to phone Social Security and ask questions. I've found them to be wonderfully helpful.

Wishing you both all the best and speediest ~ Faith
    "Leave the gun...take the cannoli."

gorillagirl Guest
    And then, after disability, shift to a 100% vegan diet. Google vegan diet and reversing heart disease. This is the cure.
    oxoxoxo

Percy is offline Senior Member
    Hey 1Love.....So sorry to hear what Jeff and you are going through. The quicker you get that application for disability filed the better. I'm sure once that is done it will be just a question of time till you get a steady income coming in. Hang in there I'm sure things will work out for both of you. My thoughts are with you both for a speedy recovery so you both can get on with your lives together. Love will keep you alive

Love Will Keep Us Alive - Eagles - YouTube
    1love and VenusDarkStarLA like this.

Live life...instead of trying to control it......through non resistance...non judgement and non attachement.

VenusDarkStarLA is offline Senior Member
    1Love...I have absolutely ZERO experience with SS/Disability, so I have no wisdom to offer you. However, I just want to send you some special energy from my heart, and I hope that helps a little. Whew! You have a road ahead of you, but like you said, it seems like you kinda switched roles in regards to caring for one another.

God bless...and be good to each other.

Faith is offline Some assembly required
    Like Angel's experience, I was also told to expect to be rejected on the first application. In fact, everyone* told me that the rejection rate is 75% on the first application.

(*everyone = two therapists, one nurse, and one lawyer)

But I was approved on the first try! And I started receiving my benefits immediately thereafter. So don't let the so-called statistics put you off.
    1love, Angel and VenusDarkStarLA like this.
    "Leave the gun...take the cannoli."

gorillagirl Guest
    i know someone on the autism spectrum who was denied SS the 1st go around even though he was diagnosed with autism as a chilld. good luck!! as you're moving thru this disability process, from now on, with each grocery shop and restaurant stop, focus on getting him healthy and strong. with heart disease and diabetes, food is your poison and food is your medicine. healing requires a plant based diet and exercise so that the heart actually improves through it's own regeneration rather than just stabilizing on meds. watch the movies "simply raw, reversing diabetes in 30 days" and "forks over knives" and "fat, sick and nearly dead." forks/knives and fat/sick are streaming on netflix and simply raw was on youtube in chunks. seriously. wishing you both much love, health, and abundance.
    Last edited by gorillagirl; 04-20-2013 at 10:01 AM.

MissMuffins is offline Senior Member
    I'm sorry to hear of your sweetheart's health concerns, and everything that goes with them.

I sent you a link via PM to a company I interviewed with, who helps folks with applying for SSI or SSD.

You mention bills. I think we need to brainstorm ways to lift some of the everyday burdens from your shoulders for a little bit so you can focus on your education and your sweetheart's recovery. Here are some things that might help.

Just so you know I'm not some crackpot who's off her rocker, here's a bit about me. I work for a Community Action Agency that administers several different federally-funded programs under our own awards (grants and contracts) or as a sub-grantee/sub-contractor to our state welfare agency. Part of what I do is take apps in-office and on outreach, so I have to know enough about the programs we administer agency-wide to help folks apply for them. I can give you an overview, but I can't give you a specific answer because each state is allowed to administer federally-funded programs differently, provided they stay within federal parameters. That's why there are a lot of similarities from one state to the next, but no two states administer the federal programs in *exactly* the same way.

Each Community Action does things a little differently, but we have some things in common. The Community Action I work for offers help with aging & disability resources, nutrition, energy bills, telephone bills, energy efficient home improvements and self-sufficiency. For instance, other Community Action agencies do WIC and Head Start, or energy bills but not energy efficient home improvements. You may want to check this site to see what services the Community Action Agency in your community offers.
    MACA - Missouri Association for Community Action - CAA Service Areas

For telephone assistance, start here: Lifeline Program for Low-Income Consumers | FCC.gov

For food stamps, which are now called Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), and help with your heating expense, start here: Missouri Department of Social Services Divisions

With the catastrophic medical events and associated expenses, the income guidelines regarding previous 3 months worth of income may be different for you. However, you will still need to provide documents such as:
    • photo ID for primary applicant;
    • full names and dates of birth for all household members, including any roommates;
    • proof of Social Security Number for all household members, including any roommates (anything from the federal government with your SSN on it works--it does not have to be your Social Security Card);
    • proof of income for prior 3 months from all sources, for all household members, including any roommates, by pay date (For example if your time card goes from the 15th to the 30th and you get paid on the 5th, your pay date is the 5th. They will want your January, February and March pay info if you're applying in April);
    • proof of physical residence; and
    • proof of utility service (power and phone bills do double duty here).

In your situation, I would also consider looking for something in a Section 42 rental property that accepts the Section 8 HUD housing vouchers, then apply for Section 8. The Section 8 helps with your rent, while the Section 42 helps make sure that you won't have to move when you get a job and start earning enough money that you don't qualify for assistance any more.

Check with the hospital social worker, billing office, chaplain, or website for their process regarding charitable care so you can get the portion Medicaid won't cover written off and it doesn't go into collections and haunt you for life.

That's what I can think of for now; I hope it's useful.

MM
    Last edited by MissMuffins; 04-20-2013 at 02:26 AM.
    "Our past is a story existing only in our minds. Look, analyze, understand, and forgive. Then, as quickly as possible, chuck it." ~ Marianne Williamson

SheLikesKitties is offline OW/YM 21YR GAP
    Not much to add except a hug!

I hope he gets dissability benefits.
    1love likes this.
    You know it's love when the pain of being apart is greater than the pain of being together.

debralee is offline Senior Member
    ilove, I am so sorry this has happened to you and your loved one. I pray for a speedy recovery and total healing.

I actually went through the disability process with my husband when he first became brain injured approximately 13 years ago. I know it took me a long time with lots and lots of papers to fill out but it was worth it. He was approved the first time we applied.

It was a long time ago but I remember people telling me I would never be able to get his disability without a lawyer and Social Security would reject it the first time. That was not the case so I would just plow in and do it.

I don't know what else to say except I know this is a difficult time and my heart is with you.
    gorillagirl, 1love and Angel like this.
    ​​"Life is an adventure, not a prison sentence."

christina923 is offline Senior Member
    so sorry to read that. prayers for you both during this horrible time...
    1love likes this.

Thank you all so much for your replies... love and gratitude to all of you.

Thank you also, for all of the SSD application info, and your personal stories.

MissMuffins, thank you for the pm and the information here. I sent you back a pm, also.

The information you put here on the thread is wonderful, and I am familiar with those things.

I worked for MO Department of Social Services for 6 years, and was a caseworker for part of that time.

After that, I also worked for a community action agency for 3 years!

It had not yet occurred to me to seek assistance in those ways, but I appreciate you bringing it to my attention, and I will check into them.

I have a mortgage on my home, almost 10 years now, so it would not be that easy to just let it go and move to an apartment... but of course, would if I had to.

I really hope that I can find a job working from home. I have seen a few lately, so want to really check more into those.

My professor said he would work with me on my homework/class attendance for the rest of the year, seemed really empathetic... but somehow isn't.

He followed up by saying if I don't attend every class, turn in all homework, and take the final, I won't pass.

So, I am asking myself, what kind of concession has he given? None.

That is something I am obsessing over right now, but know I need to let it go. I have bigger fish to fry.

All in all, I am so grateful that things happened the way they did. The day of the heart attack, he had went to work, which included 5 hours of driving.

He also had lunch with a friend after that. So, had the heart attack occurred during any of that time, not sure what would have happened.

As it turned out, he took 2 aspirins, and was researching chest pains when I walked into the computer room and saw what he was reading.

I asked him if he was having chest pains and he said yes... he was starting to turn pale, sweat and feel clammy. I said I am calling 911, and he said he

did not want to go in an ambulance. I said I will drive you, because we are about 3-4 minutes from a local hospital. He did not want to go there, because

it is a small town, but I told him that they would stabilize him, and then transfer him to the hospital where his cardiologist is located.

His cardiologist said that because of his limited heart function, he should never have made it through that heart attack.

So while I am heartbroken that it happened and feel overwhelmed with all there is to do, I am so grateful that he is still here and I get more time with him.
    I've decided that the stuff falling through the cracks is confetti and I'm having a party! ~Betsy Cañas Garmon

Quote Originally Posted by gorillagirl View Post
    i know someone on the autism spectrum who was denied SS the 1st go around even though he was diagnosed with autism as a chilld. good luck!! as you're moving thru this disability process, from now on, with each grocery shop and restaurant stop, focus on getting him healthy and strong. with heart disease and diabetes, food is your poison and food is your medicine. healing requires a plant based diet and exercise so that the heart actually improves through it's own regeneration rather than just stabilizing on meds. watch the movies "simply raw, reversing diabetes in 30 days" and "forks over knives" and "fat, sick and nearly dead." forks/knives and fat/sick are streaming on netflix and simply raw was on youtube in chunks. seriously. wishing you both much love, health, and abundance.
    We have seen "Fat, Sick..." and have discussed doing the juicing in the past.

I hear you and want you to know, gg, that while we are not vegan thus far, we have already completely changed our diets.

Jeff has already lost 20 lbs. A lot of that probably due to fluid retention because of the CHF, but also because his diet has changed drastically.

He is a big guy, has always eaten a lot... he is a gourmet cook. So, right now we are keeping it simple. His doctor wants him on a diabetic and low salt diet, and to lose weight.
    gorillagirl likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast