What's new
Ageless Love

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Age Gap" in the City

I

In Your Eyes

I am a big Sex & the City fan...I started watching when it first came out when I was between 8th grade and high school and followed it all the way through when it finished in 2004. So I grew up a lot during that time. But it wasn't til watching the reruns tonite I truely comprehended all the age gaps in the show:

OM/YW:

Carrie & Mr. Big: around 12 years

Carrie & Alexender (the artist from the last season): around 18 years

OW/YM:

Samantha & Smith Jared: around 15 years

Miranda and Skipper (season 1): Around 9 years

Now being in an age gap myself and watching all these reruns, I actually think it is one of the BETTER media outlets showing age gap relationships on TV. They don't make huge deals over the age gap, sometimes Carrie and Big may joke, but they don't base the entire show around it. They just treat it like any other couple dating.

I like how Samantha who has trouble through all six seasons finding monogomy finally finds this great love with a man so much younger.

I like how the show neither bashes the age gaps or throws them in your face, it just lets them exist to show it is a normal part of life. Even Carrie and Samantha who wind up with age gap relationships at the end date other men their own age through out the show. It shows how you end up with the one you love despite the number, not just because of a number. I think the fact that the age gaps never fazed me watching the show is a good thing, that they portrayed it as a very natural thing.

I don't know where I am going with this rant, just something interesting I thought I would point out. I am sure there may be other fans of the show on here or other people who have noticed.

N

Nibbles

I too am a bonafied "SITC" addict. I watched from the first episode to the last (I must admit hearing you say you watched it in the 8th grade made me feel a bit elderly ick). I too noticed the age gaps throughout the series. Of course *blush* I also was single and in my 20's when I never missed an episode of Melrose Place. What was wrong with me???? :)

catlover

I think the absolute best one was samanth and smith. he was SO GOOD to her, even when she treated him badly. i remember when the 6th season on dvd came out, and i wouldn't buy them until i knew that samantha ended up with smith in all the alternate endings

I

In Your Eyes

catlover said:
I think the absolute best one was samanth and smith. he was SO GOOD to her, even when she treated him badly. i remember when the 6th season on dvd came out, and i wouldn't buy them until i knew that samantha ended up with smith in all the alternate endings

I cried for like 10 minutes in the episode where she takes her wig off!! He is a doll, I wish his character was real man out there for some woman.