What's new
Ageless Love

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EYE treatment

Mebel

OWYM AG 29 yrs
Oh, I surely hope nobody will tell me it"s a disaster,,Whooh, I am so excited..cause I want to get rid of my contact lenses.
Next wednesday I give myself a better sight! And undergo this Intralase Femtolasik procedure (excimer/ lasercorrection)).

Kevin will bring me to the clinic, it takes 2 hours, afterwards I go with him to his place. And rest with eyes closed 2/3 hours.And sleep there that night.(hopefully)
Next morning he drives me to an eyevisionclinic close to my town for my first controle.

:cool:Today i have to start with tobradex drups in both eyes.

...I know nobody around me who had this done.
Just internet and some search was my info..and ofcourse my portemonnee(wallet)
Last week I made the first appointment there Ooglaseren door VisionClinics - VisionClinics and they checked my eyes for two hours, so lots of testing.
And then they(and the same physician who wil help me) gave me the outcome, green light, and suggested this treatment for me.
I immediately said YES!

So soon!
kevin jokes about this and says OMG :eek:Then you will see the real me!

Last edited:

SheLikesKitties

OW/YM 21YR GAP
One of my best friends had this done, right here in Panama, and it was a success. She only reported a little discomfort for a little bit. She is extremely happy. She only had it in one eye, for reading.

Good luck, and bye bye contacts!
:bgrin2:

AmandaAlice

My stepmom had it done a few years ago, she's happy with it. She always had to wear the hard contacts, couldn't have the soft ones, so she was real glad to have em gone :)

NY10

I have thought of laser eye surgery. I wear contacts and I almost never ever wear my glasses anymore. The thought of the surgery is something I have tossed around but never really thought much of in a serious way. It's expensive but I have known people who got it and are better than ever. It does get to be a pain taking the contacts out every night (I sometimes even forget and sleep with them in) and it does become expensive and a hassle. Let us know how everything goes with you when your's are done.

Good luck

Mebel

OWYM AG 29 yrs
Thanks SLK, AmandaAlice and NY10 you helped me :)belief that i will be oke!
sure I will tell how it goes!
I had silicone hydrogel monthly contact lenses(soft ones) for 8 years.
+1.50 in left eye and +1.75 in right eye.

MissMuffins

I'm not a good candidate for laser surgery on my eyes, as I am very, very, very farsighted. I would undergo the procedure if I could. When I do close work, I now wear my contacts plus reading glasses. My only surgical option is to have the natural lenses in my eye removed, and replaced with corrective lenses. It's cost-prohibitive, or I would do it in a heartbeat.

My ex husband had a laser procedure to correct nearsightedness and is very happy with the result.

Sending positive energy and warm wishes for a successful procedure and speedy recovery your way!

MM

Mebel

OWYM AG 29 yrs
:yes:Thank you friends for all the good thoughts, it helps for sure!

I also know it is pure luxery, that much money spending on myself. costs 1599 for each eye , I paid 2878 euro, my health-insurrance paid 320.

Also the last years, I wore contacts and reading glasses at the same time, and one for watching tv screens, which is at a more distance.
I did not like driving(with only contact lenses) at night anymore, because of the lights of cars coming my way.
Well he told me, that after this procedure, I would see very good in the distance again, as i was used to.

My left eye is going to be a bit overcorrected, made less then 0, so in the minus.

Perhaps next week I will only need glasses for reading close by, or maybe... not that anymore. That is what he said.

For the price i paid ,I stay under controle for 2 years, and even if there has to be another extra correction, they do that for free.

Last edited:

VenusDarkStarLA

I'm so happy for you! I was always very far-sighted, and couldn't wear contacts, so I'm stuck with these things hanging on my face. Eventually, I became also near-sighted, so laser surgery would fix that problem, so that at least I would only be wearing glasses for reading, but so far I've found it to be cost prohibitive.

Let us know how it goes! Maybe I can save my pennies. :bgrin2:

NY10

I know that the surgery is expensive but you have to also look at how much you pay every year for contacts and glasses. I know that my insurance does not cover glasses or contacts only the eye exam itself (I have great medical insurance horrible dental and vision). So every year I get my eyes checked this past year I had to replace my glasses and my contacts. It cost almost $1,000 for everything. Plus buying the solutions (even though they are only $8-$11) I have to buy it every month. It all adds up. The cost in getting the surgery is a one time fee as in paying every year to get new lenses.

MissMuffins

NY10 brings up a very good point--long term expense, including the associated costs not covered by insurance.

I've had insurance in the past that covered the eye exam, but not the corrective lenses. I've also had past insurance that would cover an eye exam only if there was an eye injury, and did not cover regular eye exams. I am very thankful that now I have very good vision insurance.

The weight of my prescription in glass lenses is considerable, so I pay extra for plastic lenses. Although they're lighter the glass alternative, they're still heavy in plastic, so I pay extra again for the lightweight plastic lenses. My mother has the same vision I do, and did not always have the option for plastic lenses and lightweight plastic lenses (which became available when I was in my teens and 20's, and my mother in her 40's and 50's). The weight of my mother's glasses caused a separation in the layers of the skin on her nose and created a fistula there, which eventually had to be corrected by surgery.

All of this causes me to think that whichever insurance personage decided in all their infinite wisdom that the lens replacement surgery is a "cosmetic" procedure for me (which costs USD$6000 per eye) doesn't have to wear glasses that are as heavy as mine, doesn't know how much I spend on glasses, contacts, solutions, cases, etc., and doesn't know how much it costs to repair a fistula.

MM

Mebel

OWYM AG 29 yrs
Yes NY10 and MissMuffins that were my thoughts too when i heard the costs! Because I wanted new eyeglasses after the check! which are also not cheap, beside my every year contact subscription.

My original thought was to get a good eyecheck two weeks ago.
My eyes were not seriously looked at for years, and i became a bit worried because of that. Also the eyeglasses that I wear are terrible old, I use 3 old ones and some are almost impossible to look clear through.
So in fact I only went for this total check to know more about the condition of my eyes, and to hear which eyesglasses would be best .

In my study years i had an eyeaccident with a pressure washer in a special cabin with heavy metals. I always had the impression that my eyes were affected. Because they were at that time very irritated and the white of my eyes were blue, as also my tongue.

So in that sense i was really surprised to hear the outcome, that i was a good candidate for this eye laser procedure.
That my lenses are thick enough.

Mebel

OWYM AG 29 yrs
:yes:I am extreme happy!!!
The procedure an sich was a peace of cake!!

I was a bit afraid on forehand because i am very sensitive, and always feeling fysical everything always enlarged.
Well..I did not feel any pain at all! It was done quick and easy.

Kevin drove me back, we stopped every half hour, than I laid with my head in his lap, so he could give me the 3 different eye-drops( 6 flacons for each eye its own ). I sat next him with black sunglasses on and an extra brown shawl around my head to cover my eyes. Because suddenly I had the feeling that there was a full shining sun outside.Which irritated me. In reality it was a cloudyday and a sky with no sun.

Oke, this driving home part was of no fun ! Because suddenly this next irritated feeling came as if I had chopped 50 big onions. And than opening my eyes for drops was not easy to do. But kevin managed it and me very well. He was of so much support.
At home I could sleep with dark glasses on and in between each half hour of kev doing this drops procedure.

In the evening five hours later, in kevin's dark room, in bed with my dark sunglasses on, I received an sms on my mobile, I opened it , read it, and typed back! ____....:D and then I realized WHAT I WAS DOING,, That I could SEE SO CLEAR.
Even in a dark room, even with black eyeglasses on, and with my new operated eyes.
From that moment on I do not feel any pain or discomfort anymore!

Yesterday was my first controle, everything allright!
This morning i am reading the newspaper,as if i am a newly born! oh i am SO Happyto see again , all my old glasses out of the window.
I have to wear these :cool: for 2 weeks outside!
My brother and another friend are now also thinking of doing it.
So Val,:yes: save your pennies also!

SheLikesKitties

OW/YM 21YR GAP
Excellent news! I am sure all the success is due to your wonderful Kevin.

I am glad you were brave enough to go through it. It's worth it.

Percy

I'm really happy for you Mebel.....our eyesight is so important.....we should never take it for granted......we can all hear the happiness in your voice....thats great!:cool:

Mebel

OWYM AG 29 yrs
Excellent news! I am sure all the success is due to your wonderful Kevin.

I am glad you were brave enough to go through it. It's worth it.

Thank you SLK and all of you for your support here!
Oh Yes you are so true! I could only do such a thing because my beloved Kevin stayed by my side. He took 2 days of from his work to be with me this week!
And he drove me to the clinic, 2 weeks ago, for my first 2 hour eyecheck. Because afterwards I was also not aloud to drive for a few hours.
Tomorrow is his 26 BD:):birthday09: and ready to drive again myself this evening, we meet very soon, but now for lots of love:lips: and congrats :feest013:and :cake:and :bunny_4:,,oke with :cool:sunglasses on,,for the whole weekend!

Redhead

happy

I am happy to hear that you are doing fine. Thanks for the detailed description of how it went.