What's new
Ageless Love

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I hate "I'm old enough to be your mother"

E

enjoyinglife

I just HATE when some women inquire about OW/YM relationships and say "I'm old enough to be your mother". That is VERY IGNORANT!!!! The principle is that she is NOT his mother, nor a relative at all! So that statement is irrelevant!

Last edited:
H

Harrison

I just HATE when some women inquire about OW/YM relationships and say "I'm old enough to be your mother". That is VERY IGNORANT!!!! The principle is that the guy is NOT her mother, nor a relative at all! So that statement is irrelevant!

Um.... Not her son maybe? :)

I understand your point, but you are talking about a very emotional thing. Where intense emotions rule, logic is thrown out the window.

H

Harrison

Enjoyinglife,

I hope you are not feeling frustrated by women who feed you that line before dismissing you. I have NEVER had an older lady feed me that line.

I might've got something like "I'd prefer someone a little older," but never that "mother" nonsense.

Just prepare some quick comebacks and have them ready on the tip of your tongue. Maybe something like "Oh really?? Well, it's a good thing I'm looking for a girlfriend and not a Mom!" Always have a smile ready and try not to show anger ..... even if you're ready to blow a gasket! LOL

Good luck!

R

RobsGirl

Thankfully, I'm NOT old enough to be Rob's mother, so that little gem of a comment no longer comes up...it's now "aren't you a little white to be with that guy?" or "he needs to be dating a nice strong native woman, not some white *****"...

C

Chamaeleon

Thankfully, I'm NOT old enough to be Rob's mother, so that little gem of a comment no longer comes up...it's now "aren't you a little white to be with that guy?" or "he needs to be dating a nice strong native woman, not some white *****"...

Ya know when people say that to me only had it happen a few times..I just laugh and go ya LUCKY ME HUH and walk away. One time had someone say how can you have sex with someone that young..i just said EASY i laid down and took it like a champ..they dont know what to say after that LOL

H

Harrison

Tell 'em!

Ya know when people say that to me only had it happen a few times..I just laugh and go ya LUCKY ME HUH and walk away. One time had someone say how can you have sex with someone that young..i just said EASY i laid down and took it like a champ..they dont know what to say after that LOL

DAAAAAMN, Cham!! You are good! :D

"Easy, I laid down and took it like a champ!" I LOVE IT!! :p

A

A Sen

I am older than his mother would be a great reply :D Its funny that those who speak of these bs would be ever ready to drop their pants when ever they get a chance with one of those so called older ladies :rolleyes: The ' I 'associated with human beings is not the body which he or she posses, but is represented by the immortal soul which is our true self...and soul is forever young .

S

sylverspice

I am 37, the lady I love is 73. So yes, she is old enough to be my mother.

But the thing is, I don't see her as a mother.

I love her for her, plus the fact that she looks very sexy, very distinguished, she has a strong personality and all.

R

ROSEBUD

It's actually a phrase that makes no logical sense. Being a certain age has very little to do with actually being someone's parent...whether biological or adoptive. The more accurate phrase would be..."I could be a similar age to someone who is your mother." In other words "your mother and I might possibly be contemporaries--at least generation wise." But that's not necessarily so. And also it doesn't always relate to the age of the actual potential partner. I have a male friend is 28 (I'm 48). His parents are ten years older than me. Then, I actually had a couple of casual dates with a man who is 33 and his parents were the same age as me because they got pregnant as teenagers and then divorced.

Also, I'm a legal assistant and work for attorneys. Well...as I get older, many of the attorneys get younger and they are my bosses. One of my attorneys is early thirties. I suppose technically I COULD be at an age where biologically I could have a son his age. I'm not going to say to him..."Hey, kid, you could be my son!" Not if I want a good year-end review, raise, and bonus!!! No, I relate to him as my boss. He's been an attorney for several years. I'm not going to be "freaked out" because my "boss" is much younger than me. That's just the roles we are in due to our respective professional positions. An attorney is always going to be the boss to a legal assistant.

No difference in any kind of relationship. If I am on a date with a man who is at an age where I could have a biological son his age, I'm not going to say that. Talk about killing the mood! When I'm on a date with a man...he is the man and I am the woman. Age makes no differnce.

And Silverspice...when are you going to get the nerve to do something about your "love". When I'm 73 years old, I'd be overjoyed to have a nice, attractive 37 year old man ask me out!;) I'm sure it would make her day!

H

Harrison

Cute!

It's actually a phrase that makes no logical sense. Being a certain age has very little to do with actually being someone's parent...whether biological or adoptive....

You're absolutely right, Rosebud. It's a complete non-sequitur and I think women who toss it out are:

(a) Nervously trying to dismiss the possibility of something that seems exciting but somehow "inappropriate."
(b) Shocked by the "taboo" flavor of such an advance from a ym, so they seek to counter it with the inference of a counter-taboo, which would be maternal incest.
(c) In need of a sustained campaign of persuasion by a determined YM. :D

Item (c) is meant half-jokingly. If the older lady in question makes the annoying "mother" comment without actually saying "No!" I would say she's open to persuasion.

As a YM, I would label her with (a) and assume she means "This might work but I'm a little nervous about it. Are you sure it's okay, and if so, why??"

Does my reasoning make sense to others?

Angel

Anger Thrives In A Fool
When somebody tells me "you are old enough to be his mother" I say "I am actually older than his mother", with a smile. That normally shuts them up.

Now for guys: Too bad you guys do not live in Latin America. Here that "Im old enough to be your mother" immediately gets you a "Si, mi amor, quieres ser mi mamacita?" So we older women cannot use age as a dismisal. :rolleyes: Of course you can pretend you are hispanic and solve the problem with this method.

You dirty girl. For you Sheila I say...

"íA si lo que mamacita ahora!" :prayer:

I'm hoping that what I wrote is at least legible, lol! My Spanish, I admit, is terrible!

J

JennyJen

I have no idea what either of you are saying but I'm guessing it's kinky!:confused: All I got was amor and mamacita I need to call my aunts bf to translate.....

LADave

Born 200 years too late
If a woman tries that line on me I just smile, say "But you're not" and take the convo in a different direction.

C

Chamaeleon

DAAAAAMN, Cham!! You are good! :D

"Easy, I laid down and took it like a champ!" I LOVE IT!! :p

LOL ty!:bow:

Shiela LOL i have told people that to..Yes I am old enough to be his mom and old enought o be his moms older sister...I love the looks on their faces!!

DAVE YOU SO BAD!!!!!!!!!! LOL

kittylane

i doesnt really bother me when people notice, i dont notice anymore and that is what is the most important to me.

to me its like this....SO WHAT. I just cant fathom up the brain energy anymore to get really hot about this subject. he is younger, so what.

although sometimes (just for a laugh) I make a little "cougar" hiss and pretend like i am a big cat just to have a giggle after adam and i notice someone is surprized at our relationship.

i am a girly girl anyway and he has tattoo's all over the darn place, on that front we dont look compatible either, but we are.

MEOW!

G

GingerLee

I admit

Okay, I admit I may have said something along those lines to a young man or two. :p But I had good reason. Many people tell me I don't look anywhere near my true age. So, when a significantly younger man approached with romantic intentions, I had to find out if he realized how old I am before proceeding further. It is rather blunt, yes, but if a man can't take that sort of bluntness, he has no business chasing after much older women, because he will likely hear it from his friends, his family, everyone.

So, I say, get it over with right away. Find out first thing if the two of you can handle it.

Kristin

Not to hijack, but I'm sorry you have to deal with this. I had it a little with my ex Native American bf, but only from that side of the family (he was 1/2 Irish, too), but not ever with Jeremy's family.

We just came back from the annual July 4th get-together in Antigo, WI and it was truly a melting pot:
Native American, Puerto Rican, Mexican, Polish, German, Irish, Greek, African American, Italian & Iranian (family & dear friends) were all in attendance!

I won't get into all of the OTHER drama, LOL.....

Oh, and I never gave the "old enough to be your mother line to Jeremy because I'm NOT! I did ask him, "What the heck do you want with a middle-aged mother of two??" LOL!

Kristin

, but if a man can't take that sort of bluntness, he has no business chasing after much older women, because he will likely hear it from his friends, his family, everyone.

So, I say, get it over with right away. Find out first thing if the two of you can handle it.

Great point, Ginger!!