What's new
Ageless Love

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

many users online

Mebel

OWYM AG 29 yrs
This morning! 9 hours ago in my dutch time, I saw something very surprising happening!
187 users were online in this owym chitchat section for a half hour!
It said CHIT CHAT (187 viewers).

What could that mean,,whole schoolclasses, of psychology students.
What kind of enthousiastic fans do we have suddenly for this section? :)

(thinking about it now, I have a conclusion.
The thread "Why are you here", received a new reply from 'bestofbothworld'. Soon after that adding, all (former active) AL people got a hint? and came looking at that old long thread)

Last edited:

whiterose

Administrator
Often, the users you see online are spam bots trying to register for our forums. But we weed them out so they can't actually register or post. But that's what is usually happening when you see large numbers of users online like that at once.

PinkCat

Animals are people too!
This is what I think of when I hear the word "spambot":

images

C

chi77

maybe not 187 new users but i have noticed there have been a lot more posts lately

trolleycar

I still play with trains
Hi Pinkcat I liked your Spambot. And Hi Stiletto You have never eaten
US Army K rations. Spam was a treat and if you prepared it right it was all most good. ( prepared it right is the operative word cut an X's in the top of the Spam and put brown sugar on top and a few cloves in it and bake. m m m all most good.

Mebel

OWYM AG 29 yrs
:p hehe..I never heard of this name 'SPAM'..:yes: We have exactly that same tin with cheap corned beef here! Its has the name 'SMAC' since 1950 ( has no bigmac photo on it). In my youth we eat it ,when we were with family, outdoor camping.

Last edited:
C

chi77

SPAM PUSH UPS....someone please tell me that is a joke!

I used to actually eat SPAM when I was a kid. My mom used to fry it in a pan and that's all I remember.

But I used to eat liver sausage too....OMG what was that stuff. I used to eat that on a sandwich with mustard! UGHHHHH.

And "sandwich spread" which was like liver sausage with relish in it or something....it came in a plastic tube with a hole in the side and you would squeeze it out.

All of that stuff is that pinkish, greyish, brownish color....like the color of tongues, lips, eyelids, a holes, tails, and innards.....ha ha ha.

Glad I'm a veg!

PinkCat

Animals are people too!
You know, I don't know if I've ever actually had SPAM, but when I was a kid I'd sometimes get KAM. Same idea, I think. Maybe it's the Canadian version, heh. KAM was supposedly short for "Canned (Kanned?) Ham" -- mmm, that sounds appetizing.

Actually it really wasn't bad.
2233649635_eec0128d8f.jpg

trolleycar

I still play with trains
I first came a crossed Spam well not Spam but Treat. Spam is made by Hormel Foods Corporation
and Treat Luncheon Meat was made by Armour and Co. WE had Treat and this was during WW2.
You must have heard about it was in all the Newspapers. And everything was being Rationed.
Meat, Sugar, Butter, Milk etc , oh yes Gas . I have still a couple of Ration books and coins.
So if you had the money and wanted things that you could buy because you did not have the ration stamps or coins. You would go to your friendly Black Marketeer . My dad friends that worked for the
Long Island Railroad and they could get you anything from a Grumman F4F Hellcat to a carton of Camels. And The LIRR had a Armour plant that the railroad served. So that is why we ate Treat.
Dad worked in the printing business for many of the New York Newspapers. The one I remember was
The New York Telegraph also known as the Racing Forum. But in WW2 it was an essential industry.
During the day they printed work for the US Navy. Complete with a sailor with a Colt 1911 striped to his side. And night they printer all the information for the lovers of the sport of horse racing.
It is funny how thinks stick in our mind even sixty five years later. If any one complained about not having all the things you want to eat etc. The statement that would be heard was. Don't you know there is a war going on. And what confused me was that that know time did we ever have less then twenty four cans of treat in the closet and a lot of other things that was hard to come by.

Stiletto

My mom bought canned hams and canned chicken, but not Spam. My son wanted to try Spam after watching too much Monty Python.. so we bought a can. It smelled like cat food to us.. and to the cats.. who ended up eating it in small quantities over a period of days so as not to risk making them sick. My son still has the can somewhere, though. (btw I did try frying it.. no go.)

I don't recall Kam at all.

@chi77 Liver sausage, as far as I can tell, is poor man's paté, at least.. the one time I had paté in a fancy restaurant.. it tasted like liver sausage to me.

@Trolleycar I don't recall my parents ever saying anything about tough times during WWII.. but then, they lived through the Great Depression of 1929.. so maybe it didn't compare for them.. I heard all those stories growing up, though. Farm folk did a lot of swap and barter.

Last edited:

1love

I loved Spam when I was a kid, fried and on a sandwich with mustard. I loved it. It has enough sodium to croak a frog. Wasn't that clever? I just made it up and expect several hearty laughs and much praise for it's cleverness. :happy0188:

Angel

Anger Thrives In A Fool
I loved Spam when I was a kid, fried and on a sandwich with mustard. I loved it. It has enough sodium to croak a frog. Wasn't that clever? I just made it up and expect several hearty laughs and much praise for it's cleverness. :happy0188:

UglyFrog_7.gif

:bowdown: :bowdown:

trolleycar

I still play with trains
hi Stiletto
I was born in November of 1940. But even as a very young kid I would hear mom and dad talk about how hard it was to get food items because a lot of the things were going to the war effect. And I remember I got i trouble for falling out a window into mom's victory Garden and squishing the tomatoes the were growing. and only after they salvaged to tomatoes did they think I could have broken my neck. I also remember saving tin cans for the metal drive all for the war effect. in 1943 or 44 I think my girl friend (not romantically. She was a friend and she was a Girl) telling me that her mother was going to get a job operating a trolley car for the BMT. A neighbor down the block had gotten a promotion and she was lead man in the propeller department on the third shift
at Grumman on the tigercat line . she and two woman on 107th street were really life Rosie the Riveter at the Brooklyn Navy Yard I think they were working on Aircraft Carriers. Money was not so much the problem it was getting off to spend the money. And the answer to all problems people had was Don't you know there is a war going on. and if you work in the war effect you did not say much about what you were doing or where you worked. Because Loose lips sink ship. One other thing I will never forget is the time when I was two or three I got in big trouble for playing with the packages of cigarettes dad had gotten five cartoons of Raleigh's cigarettes
they were the ones that had the coupons on the back. My mom was very much against dad smoking. She would tell him what are you saving those coupons for a lung transplant . Back to me playing with the packages of cigarette in the front window of the house like they were blocks. I really did not get in trouble big time dad told me if I was going to play with the cigarettes do it in the kitchen where people could not see that was playing with. May I should write a book what it was to be a kid growing up in WW2