What's new
Ageless Love

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shred is not dead

Name your shredder

• Yngwie J. Malmsteen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Randy Rhoads

• Eddie VanHalen

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Chris Impelliterri

• Steve Vai

• Joe Satriani

• Eric Johnson

• Other Guitar player, shredder of any jenre (all styles from rock to jazz to country has shredders; n

• What the heck is shred????

• Not into any form of shred

• Total voters
S

shredmachine

lencarol said:
Is Stevie Ray Vaughn a "shredder"?

No, I'm verry sorry to say this, but S.R.Vaughn is a blues man. I know you must be verry disapointed by now, but it's true. If you want to listen to a shredman. Try angelo.com. That's the man with the 4 guitars in one picture. Watch his new video. Maybe you'll like it or not.

D

Dan Echo

Wow!! It's me!!

This is really cool!! When I first joined Ageless, I was Danelectro. Then a horrible computer problem beset me and I wound up having to reregister under a new nickname, Dan Echo.

Max, I met Michael Angelo Battio about four years ago at a guitar clinic he did in Maryland. Wicked cool!! I still like Malmsteen better, but I must say that I was very impressed with Michael. He signed a guitar and a Dean catalogue for me and was very, very decent to the fans. If you like him, check out his new release, Hands without shadows.

As for Malmsteen, Unleash the Fury has been out for almost a year now, and the Concerto for Electric Guitar with the New Japan Philharmonic Live! DVD just came out a month or so ago. Shredmachine, you should definitely check this one out!

Lencarol, Stevie Rocks!! I must disagree; I would call him a shredder, just not neoclassical. He was, afterall, a bluesman, and a darn good one at that!

DanE

D

Daniel

05-06-06

I saw Yngwie at the State Theatre in Virginia and wow, what a show!!

MalmsteenandWall.gif

Malsteen in front of the 'Great Wall'

DanE

R

Rob

Hmm, don't think 'shredding' is really my thing, I prefer guitarists that concentrate more on sound and style....

BUT...

I've been listening to a cd by Nick Harper (son of Roy Harper, of 'Hats Off To (Roy) Harper' on Led Zep 3) and though it's not electric (acoustic) he still plays it pretty darn fast.

Then there's Jimmy Page, would you count him in?

L

LiquidMidnight

Sorry to bump this thread, but it's real cool.

Anyways, I think there's a lot of confusion on whom is a "shredder". While speed and clean playing define a shredder, I think that shredders also come more from a modal approach of playing rather than blues-based players, who come more from a pentatonic approach. That's not to say that a shredder can't play a pentatonic/blues run, but their playing is going to be more melodically rich with a lot of modal runs and melodic/harmonic minor scales. But I wouldn't call a jazz player a shredder either - though some fusion cats like Allan Holdsworth and John McLaughlin could apply - since they 're playing over top deeper harmonic textures than the metal-based shredders and that's what helps define their soloing. Then you have a class of players who have blues influence but are more country/rockabilly pickers and are neither shredders nor pure-blues players. Guys like James Burton, Chet Atkins, Mark Knopfler and even to a certain extent, Brian Setzer fall into this category.

Anyways, my favorite "shredder" is probably John Petrucci from Dream Theater. Though I voted for Steve Vai, because I think that he has excellent technique, great tone, plays with feeling (something shredders are often accused of not doing), and those JEM guitars with the floral finishes and the vines going up the fretboard were just flippin' cool as hell.