What's new
Ageless Love

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tata Madiba

Mebel

OWYM AG 29 yrs
Nelson Mandela,
I want to give thanks for his life, his leadership, his devotion to humanity and humanitarian causes.
I hope we keep his legacy alive.

He had a special connection with the Netherlands and visited it twice( 1990-1999). One of the reason was that we had a huge and active Anti-Apartheids Beweging( movement) in my country. We all hoped and prayed for his freedom from Robben Island (robben(dutch) are seals). We all celebrated his freedom in 1990!!

Apartheid is an african/dutch word!
Ofcourse you know what this word stands for, and, being for many years the official policy in the Republic of South Africa.
APARTHEID is a word in my language. I learned the policy behind the word and it shocked me. I read Black Power books, Steve Biko bio, and Malcom X , learned from Desmond Tutu, Allan Boesak and Beyers Naude, all prominent churchleaders! They preached often and in several dutch cities. A. Boesak studied theology in my small town with some of my friends.It was besides the struggle for freedom also an very inspiring time.

Apart = a common dutch word meaning; separate(-as from french a part), and distinguish. (-which is not something bad an sich)
Dutch word heid =maybe same as hood. I give examples; freedom= vrijheid, humanity=mensheid, vanity= ijdelheid, safety= zekerheid..but brotherhood= broederschap and maternity/motherhood=moederschap in dutch.

Kevin gave me this quote yesterday evening;

;"For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others". -Nelson Mandela-

Last edited:

SheLikesKitties

OW/YM 21YR GAP
We, in Panama, had some sort of Apartheid, with the former Canal Zone. This land under US control was for a while off limits to Panamanians, with housing for colored (Panamanians were considered colored) and housing for whites. With separate schools, water fountains, and payroll. I am not using a keyboard now, so thats as far as I go for now.

Faith

Some assembly required
I went to the TED Women conference yesterday, when the news had come of Nelson Mandela's death. Many of the speakers had known him and worked with him, and gave heartfelt tributes. He was one of the greatest men of our era.